Essential element of the dining room, the table allows the whole family to meet together during the meal. It comes in different forms, adapting to all desires and needs. However, it is not always easy to choose given the multitude of offers. How to proceed ?
Dining room table: define your needs
It is very easy to be tempted by a beautiful marble dining table as it is elegant and sophisticated. However, does she really meet her needs? Is there enough room in the house? Beautiful furniture, there are many. You must first define your needs before embarking on a purchase. To get there, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
- How often is the table used?
- What is the number of places needed?
- What is the type of decoration of the dining room?
- Which material?
- What color ?
- What is the available area in the dining room?
Answering all these questions will give an exact idea of the perfect table. First and foremost, this piece of furniture combines practicality and style. It must harmonize with the rest of the decor while offering maximum comfort.
Think about the frequency of use, the size of the room and the number of people before buying a dining room table – © Maisons du Monde
Dining room table: the space
The first thing to define is the location of the table in the dining room. Is there enough space for a rectangular, oval or square dining table? There are a multitude of models responding to different needs on the market. In a large room, a massive table will fit perfectly.
It will be placed in the center of the room or a little behind. In a large space, there are almost no constraints. The table can be elongated, round, square or rectangular. For a small area, a square or rectangular model is generally suitable because it can be installed in a corner of the room. Folding tables are perfect for small rooms. They offer additional seats when unfolded. To save space and promote fluidity of movement in the room,
It is important to take the exact measurements of the space available in the dining room. It is necessary to leave about 70 cm of free space around the table and about 60 cm of distance behind the chairs so that everyone can get up and sit down without any worries.
Dining table and design chairs collection – © Photographee.eu, Shutterstock
The dimensions of the dining room table
- The choice of a dining table is also made according to the dimensions of the dining room, but also according to the number of people generally sitting around.
- The frequency of the receptions is another parameter to take into consideration when choosing its size. Note that too large a table in a narrow room visually shrinks the space.
- However, it is quite possible to choose an extensible furniture to adapt to its needs, knowing that an extension allows to add space for two people.
- For a table serving both as a dining area and as a desk, choosing a large enough model to accommodate computers, books and other documents is recommended.
- To know the ideal dimensions of a dining table according to the number of people, it takes about 45 cm per person.
In a large room, there are few constraints: the dining room table can be placed in the center – © La Boutique Danoise
The different models of dining room tables
The choice of the model largely depends on the tastes of each, although some practical parameters must be considered.
- The classic dining room table: this is the standard dining table model.
- The extendable table: this type of table is distinguished by its modular character and the possibility of enlarging it. For this, it is provided with extensions to unfold or install between its two ends. Its main advantage lies in the space savings offered. Without extensions, this table is easily placed in a corner of the room. Once the extensions are unfolded, it easily accommodates many guests.
- Lifting low table: ideal for small spaces, this dining table is low and has a mechanism to adjust its height.
- The round shape is the most user-friendly because everyone at the table sees each other. A single central leg frees up space to add as many chairs as possible without the legs of guests being hindered.
- The rectangular shape offers maximum space.
- The square shape is suitable for small spaces and for couples.
A round table is less massive than a rectangular table, it is easily positioned in a corner and once at the table everyone sees each other – © Muuto
- In a two person home with limited space, a 70 cm round table is recommended.
- In a family of four, a round table of 1m20 will provide enough space for everyone. In a family of six, a rectangular table of 140 cm is perfect. It can even display a capacity of up to eight people for special occasions.
- If the space is quite small while the family has 6 to 8 members, the modular tables represent the ideal solution. They incorporate extensions that can measure up to 50 cm, making a table from four people to eight, in a jiffy.
- Some tables are adjustable in height and turn into a coffee table or dining table in the blink of an eye.
- To save space in a small area, there are tables with drawers for storing cutlery. Thus, no need to invest in a dresser, all the necessary is at hand.
A rectangular dining table certainly offers space but its four feet can interfere with people sitting. – © Alinéa
Choose the material of the dining room table
The choice of material depends to a large extent on the decorating style of the dining room. For a contemporary interior, focus on white or gray lacquered tables with clean lines. For an interior designed in an industrial design, a table in brushed metal will be perfect. For a Nordic atmosphere, natural wood is the perfect choice to bring a touch of authenticity and conviviality. To bring lightness to an interior, glass is preferred … Beyond the aesthetics, the ease of maintenance or durability of the material of the dining room table must also be taken into account. This choice also depends on other criteria such as transport (marble furniture will be difficult to transport in an apartment on the 3rd floor), the presence of children (fragile,
A tempered glass table
Versatile material, tempered glass is usually associated with wood or metal (for the structure). This material is perfect for a modern dining room. The visual lightness brought by the glass is particularly adapted to an airy and luminous room. This material seduces by its resistance to heat and humidity, but also by its ease of maintenance. On the other hand, tempered glass is sensitive to chips, scratches and stains.
A solid wood table
For timeless furniture, wood is the best option. Matching all styles, this material is appreciated for its natural and warm appearance. Natural treated wood or recycled wood, this material is preferred for a robust and durable table. Its disadvantage is based on its sensitivity to water and heat. In addition, the wood must be treated regularly to last.
Made from medium-density wood fibers and formaldehyde-based glue, MDF has the advantage of being available in a variety of colors. Adapted to a clean and modern decoration, this material resists moisture and is easy to maintain. On the other hand, it is less resistant to scratches.
A natural stone table
Granite, marble, shale or limestone, natural stone gives a chic and refined look to the dining table. Durability and resistance to moisture and heat are its main advantages. On the other hand, in the absence of treatment, the porous texture of certain stones makes them sensitive to stains.
For a Scandinavian interior, favor a white wooden table with clean lines – © Bloomingville
If the appearance is important to harmonize the interior, we must also think of the practical side. Easy to maintain, the wood is perfect if the home has young children. In contrast, glass is contraindicated in this case. Although the risk of accidents remains, whether it is a wooden table, metal or glass, the glass may break and cause serious injury. Even rounded corners can become sharp in case of shock.
Concerning the maintenance of the table:
- The wood cleans easily and can last for years if treated properly.
- The marble is sturdy, but is sensitive to coffee and wine stains because of its porosity.
- Fingerprints easily mark glass tables. Thus, they must be cleaned frequently.
For a rustic interior, prefer a solid wood table with benches – © Maisons du Monde
The right price for a dining room table
When choosing a dining room table, the budget is among the criteria influencing the choice. Note that the price of this piece of furniture varies significantly depending on the size, aesthetics or the material of manufacture. Depending on the needs, a budget between $50 and more than $5,000 is to be expected!