Essential element in a kitchen, the sink must meet both aesthetic and practical criteria. To facilitate dishwashing, but also maintenance work and long-term use, it is important to focus on design, material and color. This article explains how to proceed.
Too small for its use, a sink will overflow permanently: bad for morale! – Ikea kitchen
The materials used for the manufacture of the sink
The sink is available in a variety of materials to meet the requirements of everyone in terms of shape, finish and strength. Here are some essential information about the types of sink existing on the market:
- The marble sink is for those who want to bet on refinement. In addition to its elegant appearance, it demonstrates good resistance to shocks and scratches. However, it is important to note that this material becomes fragile over time. It is important to maintain it regularly to maintain its brightness. During this operation, the use of abrasive materials is prohibited! It should also be noted that this type of sink involves a certain budget. Its weight is also a significant element, just like the sink in sandstone or granite, acclaimed for its retro side. Installing a marble model on a hanging piece of furniture is therefore not recommended.
- The stone sink comes in two materials: natural stone and synthetic stone. Robust and robust, it resists shocks and thermal variations perfectly. Note that it is not less aesthetic but rather expensive, just like marble. It should also be noted that it is best to install in a spacious kitchen. In terms of maintenance, it is worth noting that stone is a simple material to clean. The important thing is to treat it properly upstream. If the use of soapy water is recommended, abrasive products are still to be avoided!
- The sink encrusted in a wooden worktop is an interesting option. Noble and elegant material, the wood also offers good resistance. It gives a rustic and authentic look to the kitchen. Massive or laminated, wood is available in a multitude of species. Cedar, teak or beech, there is something for everyone! With regard to maintenance, the application of a layer of oil at regular intervals is necessary, twice a year.
- The glass sink is synonymous with elegance. Although this material is rather resistant, it is not unbreakable. Tempered glass is therefore preferred. Easy to maintain, it is cleaned with a mild detergent. However, this must be done regularly to remove traces of water and limescale. It is available in many colors. It is also expensive and requires careful laying.
- The concrete sink has a design similar to that of marble. It is quite expensive to buy. It comes in a multitude of shapes, colors and effects. To maintain it, all you need is a sponge and a neutral pH solution. This operation must be carried out regularly to prevent the limestone from becoming embedded in the sink.
- The ceramic sink is resistant to scale, dirt, impact, scratches and solvents. It also demonstrates great longevity and is simple to maintain. In addition, it is one of the cheapest materials on the market, about 10 times cheaper than the marble model.
- The stainless steel sink, both light and strong, is synonymous with modernity. Nevertheless, as it is sensitive to scratches, its maintenance should be done with care, preferably using a mild detergent.
- The resin sink is perfect for decorating a modern kitchen. Light and pleasant to the touch, the resin shows an increased resistance to shocks and scratches. Note that it is as durable as ceramics. Available in a wide range of colors, it easily imitates the appearance of concrete, stone or wood. For its maintenance, just use soapy water.
Kitchen urban design style and its stainless steel sink – Kitchen GOAL decor Gray shadow Oak river
The sink, design and specificities
It is important to take into account the shape, color and finish of the sink to make the kitchen more practical, functional and pleasant to live. It should be noted that it comes in two categories: to install and recess.
The built-in sink is easy to install on the countertop. To proceed, it is necessary to cut beforehand the surface intended to accommodate the sink. This operation requires great precision because the dimensions must be respected to the nearest tenth of a millimeter. The built-in sink offers 3 types of installation: by covering (for a better sealing), flush with the work surface (easy to maintain) and by embedding under a plane (more aesthetic).
The LED sink needs to be always clean! – Sink: Lapeyre
Those who do not have the soul of a handyman and do not wish to use the services of a professional can opt for the sink to ask. Easy to install, it requires only low furniture as a support. No cutting is to consider.
The worktop with a “water path” placed on each side of the sink allows to combine comfort of work, user-friendliness and aesthetics. The mixer tap with powerful jet spray is the finishing touch to a modern kitchen, without forgetting the automatic emptying system. For more convenience, some models come with a sliding cutting board in addition to the dish drainer.
The sink is equipped with a professional faucet to facilitate even more the chore of dishes – Little more: drainer, dish brush and its suction cup